Anyone else missing their favorite local coffee shop right about now? The ones that could make specialty coffee drinks for $6 that you would happily hand over your card for? Yeah, me too.
But today I’m sharing how I make my lavender vanilla simple syrup at home that will make you feel like a real-life barista! It sounds super fancy but I promise it’s easy peasy – the kind of recipe I’m all about.
What’s great about this “recipe” is that it’s totally customizable. Only want a slight lavender flavor? Use half the amount called for below. Not a lavender person at all? Omit it entirely! Can’t get your hands on vanilla beans or lavender at this time? Simple syrup on it’s own will still take your coffee game to the next level!
Add to your favorite Nespresso drink or your regular morning coffee and be ready to be seriously impressed with yourself.
*Not coffee related, but if you omit the vanilla and make it a lavender simple syrup, I bet it would be delicious in a gin or vodka based cocktail with some lemonade or fresh lemons, maybe even a sprig of basil. Quarantine cocktail, anyone?! Just sayin’!
How to Make Lavender Vanilla Simple Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dried lavender buds – I buy from the bulk spice section at Sprouts
- 1 vanilla bean
- In a small saucepan, heat water and sugar over medium high heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add lavender and vanilla bean (split and scrape insides of vanilla into pot along with the rind).
- Stir and let sit for around 15 minutes.
- Pour through a fine strainer into a glass container for storing (use a funnel or pour into a measuring cup and then into glass container).
Like I said before, this recipe is really easy to adapt to your tastebuds. Play around with proportions until you find the perfect concoction for your morning cup.
Lavender Vanilla Iced Latte
- Using your favorite Nespresso espresso pod, run it through the machine *twice*.
- Add 2 teaspoons simple syrup and stir.
- Fill cup with ice.
- Top off with milk. Lately I really like this cashew milk!
- Enjoy your fancy drink and all those savings $$$
*A note on Nespresso: if you are ordering a Nespresso, it is important to note that there are two different lines: the original and the Vertuo. The main difference is that the original line only does espresso while the Vertuo line does both espresso and coffee.
The two lines use different pods!!! The original line uses the smaller bullet shaped pods while the Vertuo line uses the flatter disk shaped pods (slightly more expensive per pod). The two are not interchangeable so be sure to know which one you are getting.
Also, within each line, there are tons of different models and prices vary depending on the aesthetic, if it includes a frother or not, if it comes with pods, etc. and that is why prices can be all over the board. I was so confused when we were buying so I hope that’s helpful!