Earlier this year when quarantine was at its height, banana bread really had a moment. [Speaking of… If you haven’t seen this video and you need a good laugh, give it a watch.] This recipe that my friend Kendall shared on her blog last year came to mind so I made it – with a few modifications and additions – and the rest is history.
Since then these banana chocolate chip muffins have become my breakfast of choice most mornings and if you were to come by on any given Sunday evening, you’d likely find them baking in the oven.
Free from refined sugar and butter while loaded up with protein and fiber in the form of collagen peptides, chia seeds, and ground flax seeds, these are filling and fairly healthy alternative to your typical banana bread and the perfect breakfast, snack, or dessert.
Hot tip: pop one in the microwave for 15 seconds to make it gooey and warm.
1.5 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup collagen peptides
1/4 cup organic chia seeds
1/4 cup organic ground flaxseeds
1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
1/4 cup organic honey
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon unsweetened cashew milk
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and spray muffin tin with cooking oil.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl – flour, baking soda, collagen peptides, chia seeds, and ground flax seeds.
- In a blender, combine remaining ingredients except chocolate chips – bananas, melted coconut oil, honey, vanilla, milk, egg, and Greek yogurt.
- Once blended, pour into bowl with dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Add chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Pour into muffin tin, filling each about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes.
A few tips:
- Pour the melted coconut oil in your 1/4 measuring cup and swirl around before measuring the honey. That way, it slips right out – no sticky honey mess!
- I use a large cookie dough scooper for the perfect amount and to ensure consistency.
- You are free to use gluten-free flour, any sort of milk, remove the flax seeds if you don’t have those, etc. The recipe is very flexible!
Tea towel is the Fifty States Leopard Tea Towel in Powder Blue by Honey + Hank – her designs make such a fantastic gift idea!